Inspiring articles on French culture, travel, food and drink, and language.
Laïcité: a bedrock of modern France
Go west: why the wealthy shun the east of town in France
Rugby brings French town alive with colour and collective pride
Ski-speak: Eight expressions to speak like a local skier in France
How to use ‘alors’ like a French native speaker
Aimer, adorer, kiffer: understand the language of love in France
Tiny Normandy commune to celebrate crucial role in D-Day landings
Oscar-nominated Anatomy of a Fall is masterclass in multilingual life
Audrey Tautou moved to tell tale of artist hunted by Nazis in France
‘French gardeners love the Britishness of the Open Garden scheme’
Otters make a comeback in France - how you can help them thrive
Secret lives of bats in France: Garonne river is a motorway and buffet
Costume, music, floats: where to see France’s vibrant carnival parades
SEE: The medieval 'bastide' villages of south-west France
Test your knowledge of France with our Connexion quiz
- What is the name of the transatlantic single-handed yacht race from Saint Malo to Guadeloupe?
- Which French comic book series was turned into a film starring Oscar winning Jean Dujardin?
- How do you spell “choir” and “heart” in French?
- Who is the French singer known as “Cloclo”?
- Which salad, with multiple variations mostly include boiled eggs, tuna, and green beans is named after a town on the Riviera?
- Which nightly soap opera set in Marseille has aired over 3000 episodes since 2004?
- How many French films had over 1 million admissions in cinemas in 2017?
- With over 300 fashion shows in Paris every year and 1,000,000 jobs in the industry, what percentage of French GDP is generated by the fashion industry?
- The Le Pliage handbag is lightweight, practical, and synonymous with French style with over 32 million bags sold to date; which brand created this line of bags?
- Who designed the Stravinsky fountain outside the Centre George Pompidou in Paris and was known for her voluptuous and colourful sculptures?