Health rights on closing a firm

WHAT happens to my French healthcare if I close my business?

3 September 2014

WHAT happens to my French healthcare if I close my business?

WHEN you close a self-employment business, your healthcare rights are maintained for one year (12 months).

After that, it depends on other factors – if you do not enter employment or start another business and are not drawing a state pension, then you would need to apply to your Cpam to join the paying CMU system which is for people who have no other healthcare rights.

For expats from other EU countries, this should be guaranteed if you can prove five years’ residence in France, by applying to your prefecture for a “permanent” resident’s card (carte de séjour UE – séjour permanent).

Otherwise applications are considered case by case, with taking out private insurance being the alternative.

It appears that it has become easier to be approved recently since France came under EU pressure to allow healthcare rights on the basis of permanent residence alone.

Photo: Yuri Arcurs

subscribe newsletter image
Stay informed, have your say, join the community
Boost your inbox with our editor’s pick of news and information about France for residents and second homeowners
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Updated! Brexit and Britons In France
Featured Help Guide
What Brexit means for British residents, second homeowners and visitors in France - now and after December 31, 2020.
Get news, views and information from France