What's inside this month’s edition?
On the front page
Future of local tourist airports is threatened -Airports are under financial scrutiny
We need to push sales of second homes – MP -We don’t want foreign owners to flee, says MP over tax plan
Check your foncière bill as errors are expectedMany owners have been billed for tax that was owed by someone else
European Court to rule on Brexit and loss of vote rights
A new case is to be heard at the European Court of Justice
Rural communities increasingly turn to cameras to help tackle rising crime
Almost all types of crime increased across France last year
Over 60s hit hard by top-up health insurance price rises
We give tips on how to save and explain the reimbursement system
We need to push sales of second homes, says MPHe wants a temporary halt to capital gains tax to free up more properties to be main homes
Home electricity may be limited to avoid blackouts
Around 200,000 homes with Linky smart electricity meters are set to have their maximum power levels temporarily halved this winter as part of a trial to limit blackouts
Stroke victim faces €2,000 a year waste collection bill
Dordogne waste syndicate has introduced an electronic card system and is charging for extra visits even for people with health conditions
Unregistered ‘faith healer’ found to be banking up to €40,000 a month
Almost €1 million of assets were seized from the Charente-Maritime based 76 year old
Bereavement can be tougher when you face it far from homeCoping with loss is always hard, but living abroad can sometimes make grief even more difficult to navigate
Denying the right to protest goes against France’s own historyConnexion columnist Nabila Ramdani explains France is nothing if not a protest nation
Do you agree? French Dream is better than America’s
The French Dream prizes communality prizes communality over individuality
Tree fairs and arboretums: great green-fingered visits for November
The tree is being celebrated all over France this November
History: The remarkable musical life and death of Frédéric ChopinA child prodigy and Polish emigré, Chopin was a favourite of the elites in his adopted country of France
Practical information for residents and second-home owners
- Make sense of burials and cremations
- Where to buy your poppy – or bleuet
- Blow for holiday lets in finance law
- Reed beds replace garden septic tanks
- Drive carefully and ‘black box’ saves money on your insurance
- Buying, selling or renting: key taxes to be aware of
- Winter tyres, renting electric cars, diesel prices... changes in France this month
- What are ‘WW’ car registrations?
- Is it worth purchasing protection juridique?
- How can I see a doctor at local pharmacy?
- How do bank accounts for children operate?
- Property: As tenants, are we responsible for emptying the septic tank?
- Health: Dogs and 'catcher cups' to fight bedbugs
- Benefit explainer: Apa, help to stay independent in older age
- Tax: Plan ahead to reduce second-home sale tax bill