NHS care for pensioners

Your article on the need for the UK EHIC card was useful, but I would offer one further point.

When I, as a Briton resident in France, renewed my UK EHIC card, the renewal centre told me that for visits to the UK the EHIC card was irrelevant.

They advised that what I should take with me was a proof of being currently in receipt of a UK State Pension, such as a copy of the annual increase in benefits notice.

I have not seen this advice quoted elsewhere.

Chris Hibbert, by email


Editor’s note: Under the UK rules on non-residents using the NHS, British state pensioners whose healthcare is paid for via a UK S1 form are entitled to free NHS care, including in hospitals. So it is logical that proof of this may be requested (we would suggest also taking a copy of the S1). It is true that this right is not dependent on having an EHIC card.

More articles from Letters
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...