Anomaly over French health cover

26 August 2019

In Connexion’s July edition Q&A section, you responded to a query from a reader with cancer planning to move to France.

The French health authority will not consider registering an S1 health card until you have been resident for 90 days.

A Ehic card is invalid as soon as you cease to have a UK address, which is often the case for those relocating. You cannot apply for a mutuelle without a carte vitale, so there will be a delay in getting full medical coverage. You cannot apply for a temporary carte de séjour without full medical coverage.

Essentially, whether you have moved here as a retiree or to work, you will not have full medical coverage for the first 90 days as France does not accept your status as a permanent resident until you have fulfilled that condition.

You are not covered by your Ehic as soon as you cease to have a UK address. Of course, you can use somebody else’s address but that may technically be a fraud.

James FONSEC, by email

Editor’s note: A British Department of Health spokeswoman told Connexion: “Someone moving to France with the intention of remaining there permanently will no longer be entitled to use a UK Ehic in France as it is based on ordinary residency in the UK. However, we recognise it may take up to three months to qualify for French healthcare and the Ehic would cover them for that period.” 

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Brexit and Beyond for Britons in France*
Featured Help Guide
What the Brexit deal means for UK residents of France, second homeowners and visitors in 2021 and after
Get news, views and information from France