Do I pay twice for insurance?

Like many expats who have retired, I enjoy golf, boules and randonnée, and my wife does Scottish dancing.

28 August 2019

For all these pastimes in France you have to have a licence, and/or a letter from your doctor, despite the fact that if you take out car and house insurance you are told you are covered for personal accident.

If you query why you need all these licences in order to enjoy yourself, the answer in all cases is that “it is to cover insurance”.

I once had an accident when my golf-cart overturned and I damaged my hand.

The fire brigade was called and arrived quickly, giving me first aid, and took me to hospital. A doctor put in 26 stitches and bandaged me up.

The hospital charged me 50 centimes after I produced my carte vitale.

Presumably, the fire brigade is funded by our taxes ?

Please can someone explain the need for all these insurances? I would be quite happy to have my personal insurance and the fire brigade’s.

Douglas Duncan, Cotignac

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Brexit and Beyond for Britons in France*
Featured Help Guide
What the Brexit deal means for UK residents of France, second homeowners and visitors in 2021 and after
Get news, views and information from France