Haute-Garonne man saved from fire by pet dog

It is not clear what breed the dog is, but the emergency services said it almost certainly saved its owner's life

A man living alone in the Haute-Garonne (Occitanie) was saved from a house fire by his own dog, who managed to wake him after flames took hold overnight.

The house in the commune of Thil caught fire on Tuesday this week (January 16), almost certainly after a deep fat fryer was accidentally left turned on, the Grenade fire brigade said, as confirmed in a Facebook update by the Gendarmerie de la Haute-Garonne.

Emergency services were called to the house at 22h45 on Tuesday, to deal with a house in flames, but said that the homeowner had managed to escape with his life due to the intervention of his pet dog.

The man had been sleeping, but his dog started barking and kicking him once the fire became apparent, the fire brigade said, managing to prompt him to leave the house much more quickly than otherwise.

It is not clear what breed the dog is, but the emergency services said it almost certainly saved its owner's life.

The victim was later taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, but otherwise escaped unharmed, and there were no other casualties.

The house has been gutted, however, and the homeowner will be helped to find alternative accommodation in the meantime - along with his lifesaving, loyal dog.

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

More articles from French news
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Comment

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...