Paris bans smoking from 52 public parks and gardens
Cigarette smoking is to be banned in 52 parks, public squares and gardens across Paris from June 8, the mayor of the capital has confirmed.
It comes after a successful trial ban last year, in six parks across the third, 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th and 17th arrondissements.
According to the Paris Mairie, both smokers and non-smokers welcomed the measure, saying that it improved public health and people’s quality of life. This prompted Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo to extend the ban further.
The aim is to reduce the number of smokers in areas commonly used by families, young people, and joggers; and to cut cigarette butts and other waste from being littered on the ground.
The new ban will include 10% of the total green spaces in Paris. At first, city representatives will be present to inform park users of the new rule, and each park or space concerned will have signs at the entrance.
There will also be eye-catching ashtrays installed at each entrance, which will also have quick polls that users can respond to by stubbing out their cigarette end, to encourage participation.
The new ban will join a 2015 law, which made it illegal to smoke in outdoor children’s play areas in the capital, and will also add to the 19 “no cigarette butt” streets across Paris that were introduced by the Mairie in May this year.
The news coincides with World No Tobacco Day, which is today (Friday May 31).
First created in 1987, the date is marked by the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners. It encourages a 24-hour period of abstinence from all tobacco, and seeks to raise awareness of the negative effects of tobacco, smoking, and passive smoking.
The full list of parks and gardens affected, by arrondissement
- 2nd arrondissement: Square Louvois; Square Jacques-Bidault
- 3rd arrondissement: Square du Temple – Elie Wiesel; Square Léonor Fini; Square Émile Chautemps Léopold Achille Gardens; Anne Frank Gardens; Madeleine de Scudéry Gardens
- 4th arrondissement: Square Langlois; Square Schweitzer; Square Galli le Clos des Blancs-Manteaux
- 5th arrondissement: Square St Médard
- 6th arrondissement: Square Gabriel Pierné
- 8th arrondissement: Jardin Marcel Pagnol
- 9th arrondissement: Square Montholon; Square d’Estienne d’Orves; Square Berlioz; Square Alex Biscarre; Square d’Anvers
- 10th arrondissement: Square Juliette Dodu; Ylmaz Güney Gardens
- 11th arrondissement: Square Maurice-Gardette; Gardens of la Folie-Titon
- 12th arrondissement: Jardin Trousseau; Square de la Croix Rouge; Square Jean Morin
- 13th arrondissement: Square Henri Cadiou; Gardens of la Poterne des Peupliers; Jardins aux Mères; Square Michelet; Square Héloise et Abélard
- 14th arrondissement: Square Wyszynski; Square Lemire
- 15th arrondissement: Square Dupleix; Square Pablo Casals; Square Chérioux; Square Pierre-Adrien Dalpayrat; Square Cambronne; Square Violet; Parc Georges Brassens; Square Alleray Quintinie; Square du Clos Feuquières; Square des Cévennes
- 16th arrondissement: Square Lamartine
- 17th arrondissement: Square des Batignolles
- 18th arrondissement: Square Hélène Jourda; Square Léon-Serpollet (Cloÿs)
- 19th arrondissement: Square de la Place de Bitche
- 20th arrondissement: Square du Docteur Grancher; Léon Zygel Gardens; Square Sarah Bernhardt
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France