Hiker nearly dies after viper bite in SE France

viper asp found in france

Victim suffered allergic reaction after sucking at wound on his hand 

Officials have reiterated medical advice after a hiker nearly died of an allergic reaction to snake venom when he sucked at a bite on his hand.

The 30-year-old was bitten by a viper that he had accidentally disturbed in Cormet de Roselend, in the Savoie department.

He sucked at the wound - contrary to medical advice in such circumstances - and went into anaphylactic shock. The rapid arrival by helicopter of an experienced medical team saved his life.

While viper bites are relatively rare in France, medical advice in case of attacks are to call for help; put ice - if possible - at the site of the wound to slow the spread of venom, sit down and remain calm. Do not suck at the wound.

Read more: Snakes on the plains - and what to do if you get bitten

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

More articles from French news
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Comment

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...