What changes in France in January 2020
'Free' glasses and dentures now available, most households now exempt from taxe d'habitation, and minimum wage rises
France's long-awaited 'free' glasses, dentures and hearing aids policy comes into force. Top-up health insurance providers will be obliged to pay the difference between state reimbursement and the actual cost of the items.
Homeopathic products will be reimbursed at a rate of 15% (compared to 30% previously). As of 2021, homeopathic products will not be reimbursed at all.
Pharmacists can now carry out angina tests to help patients determine which course of treatment is required.
Taxe d'habitation will disappear altogether for 80% of main households. The remaining 20% will see bills reduce to zero over the next three years as the tax is phased out.
A total €5bn in income tax cuts, prompted by the gilets jaunes, comes into effect, saving 12million taxpayers €350 a year, while another five million will save €180
Nursery assistants and home helps are subject to a levy at source, payable by their employer, via the website monprelevementalasource.urssaf.fr.
The hourly minimum wage in France rises from €10.03 to €10.15 gross, which means the monthly minimum wage for full-time workers rises €15 a month, from €1,204 to €1,219.
Companies with more than 11 employees are required to set up economic and social councils (CSE).
Tax-exempt bonus for employees (known as "Macron"): renewed but subject to the conclusion of a profit-sharing agreement within the company.
The price of a pack of 20 increases €0.10.
The sale of cotton buds with plastic stems is prohibited.
Low-income households can benefit from a green bonus from national housing agency (ANAH) for energy-saving improvements to their homes.
The controversial merger of the local and district courts, a key element of the justice reforms voted through in March 2019, comes into effect. Courts will be grouped into 'courts of justice' and will offer what reformers call a "single gateway to justice", with the promise that no site will be closed.
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France