This updated, 2019, 64 page (+ 4 cover) edition of our healthcare helpguide comprises information about accessing healthcare in France both as a resident, second-home owner and visitor.
It includes an explanation of the healthcare rights of residents, whether working, state pensioners from abroad or early-retirees, and how the French system works.
* President Macron's 2019 healthcare reforms
* Healthcare rights in France for workers, early-retirees, retirees, second-home owners and visitors
* Telemedicine and the lack of rural doctors
* Moving to France from abroad and obtaining a Carte Vitale
* What Brexit may mean for Britons in France and healthcare
* Changes to dental and eye care reimbursements
* Why you may still have to pay your doctor and how and when you will be reimbursed
* The ‘Puma’ system of residence-based healthcare rights
* Healthcare dependants
* What is an EHIC and how do I get one?
* Treatment in other countries - your rights
* Why some doctors charge more than others but your state reimbursement is the same
* ‘Top-up’ insurance for the non-reimbursed part of medical costs
* Help for people on low incomes
* What cover do you have when travelling for short stays out of France
Questions and answers:
- My French Cpam is incompetent and inefficient – who can help?
- Health rights on closing a firm in France
- Can I defer my pensions and have S1 in France?
- Travel healthcare for non-EU residents in France
- French Gym asked for a medical certificate – is that usual?
- Is hospital transport reimbursable in France?
- Does France reimburse the anti-HIV pill PrEP?
- Is arthritis treatment 100% reimbursed in France?
- Obtaining EHIC repayment from Cpam in France
- Will nationality change cost me?
- Help with spinal injuries in France
- How long is a prescription for medicine valid for in France?
- Why can I not cancel French health policy with a month’s notice?
- Are you always penalised for not seeing your own GP in France?
- Tooth filling had to be redone – should I pay?
- What you need to pack for a French hospital stay
- Can I change the way I access my Carte Vitale?
- What is SOS Médecins and who can make use of it?
- Effect of Brexit on healthcare in France
- Reimbursement for visitor in France from the UK
- Is there a cap on extra charges for healthcare in France?
- Can a mutuelle refuse cover for age reasons?
- Do Britons in France need a ‘top-up’ mutuelle policy?
- My husband has died, am I entitled to healthcare in France?
- Coming to France as a jobseeker
- How can we save on top-up medical insurance in France?
- Effect of Brexit on second home owners in France
- Can my wife become a dependent on my S1 form
- What restrictions are there on who may give blood in France?
- Are contact lenses reimbursed in France?
- Cancer: the ‘right for it to be forgotten’
- Can self-employed choose their health caisse?
- The French ‘power of attorney’: What are the options?
- Using an EHIC in France
- Making a ‘living will’ in France
- French private health screening
- Will benefits be cut at 65?
- Law on ‘sedated dying’
- Get support with Multiple Sclerosis
* Hospital stays + readers' experiences of operations in France
* Alternative medecine in France and what is reimbursed
* Long-term illnesses
* How technology is being used across France
* Cancer screening + x-rays
* Vaccinations (obligatory and voluntary)
* Mental health
* Disability benefits
* Contesting a CPAM decision
If you select the PDF version of the guide it will be available to download from the Download section of your MY ACCOUNT space on our website. MY ACCOUNT is accessed from the top right of the website when logged in.
The information in this guide is of a general nature, it is not advice which if needed can be sought by instructing a professional on the specifics of your case.