The guide is a bumper 48 pages and is aimed at expats or second home owners in France.
Our updated 2018 Inheritance Law helpguide will also include a chapter on the formalities you need to complete following a death in France
The guide reviews the important changes to French inheritance law affecting expatriates and second-home owners, which came into force on August 17, 2015
+ 8 extra pages on the formalities to follow after a death
+ 8 pages on dependency issues and how retirement homes work in France
+ How to make a will in France
*Procedure on a death
*Succession rules and planning for succession
*The pacte de famille
*The donation entre époux
*Providing for stepchildren
*Buying property in France - considerations
1. Changing Marriage Regimes
2. The tontine
3. The Société Civile Immobilière (SCI)
*Lifetime gifts as an alternative to bequests
*Taxation on death
*Questions and Answers – EU Regulations (see below)
*Reader Questions and Answers (see below)
- Questions and answers – the EU regulation
- Must I leave French flat to my son?
- English wills of French resident
- We are not married – who would inherit our property in France?
- How can I leave French house to my partner and not my daughter?
- Problems with ‘two-stage’ bequest in France
- Should I take dual nationality?
- Effect of tontine under the EU rule
- Disagreement between lawyers
- Must I update my UK will for France?
- Does English law give total freedom?
- Can we make a will as a couple?
- What effect will Brexit have?
- Can a child be excluded?
- Can we help grandsons in future?
- Can an Irish citizen in France disinherit their child?
- Reader questions and answers – general
- Can I leave house to grandchildren, not my child?
- Rights of ‘former’ stepchildren
- Late declaration due to notaire in France
- Can wife adopt my children if we become French?
- How can I plan for changes in exchange rate if I am waiting for an inheritance?
- Can funds be left ‘in trust’ for my young son
- Husband wants my grandchildren to inherit
- Find an English-speaking notaire in France
- Making a lifetime gift to sons
- Should you use a notaire for gifts in France?
- Can survivor of couple sell French house?
- How can son prove he is only child?
- Will UK will still apply in France?
- Leaving money to a disabled person
- Do we need French will as well as marriage regime?
- A British will in France
- Who should second homeowners tell in the event of death?
- Tax implications of gift in France
- Marriage or pacs to avoid tax
- Inheriting from my UK-based parents in France
- Help for second wife in France
- How do I get probate for UK assets in France?
- What protection if not married?
- What happens to sterling deposits?
- How can we mitigate large tax bill?
- Should I pay French inheritance tax?
- Ways to reduce inheritance tax in France
- Can a notaire refuse to do certain work in France?
- Inheriting from Ireland: What do I do?
- Can unwed partner stay in French home?
- Can we close SCI which no longer suits our plans?
- Can home held in SCI be left to survivor and not children?
- Can home be gifted to just one child if both agree?
- How can we leave to our nephew in France?
- May I inherit part of Pacs partner’s pension?