Inspiring articles on French life, nature, food and drink, and culture. You can also find bilingual crosswords, quizzes, book and film reviews – plus lifestyle and travel ideas. Articles are organised by subject – read the latest below or browse sections via the blue tabs. The Cx symbol denotes subscriber-only articles.
French cultural digest: November 2020
Croissants, cheese, strikes - what makes the French, French?
How the wine of France’s royal court has been reborn again
Sound like a French native - use this word instead of 'rien'
French you don't learn at school: quand même
French language: what does it mean to be called 'Arthur'?
How to live in the modern world? Look to the 1570s
Arts and culture news in France for August 2020
Meet the artist who uses 'British' humour to win over French
Wolves rehomed after storm destroys French wildlife park
French animal rights group offers to rehome escaped wolves
Video: remarkable footage of bears in France's Pyrénées
Nantes' new 1.2 hectare tropical oasis
Small, light and simplified: My electric plane experience
Test your knowledge of France with our Connexion quiz
- What is the name of the transatlantic single-handed yacht race from Saint Malo to Guadeloupe?
- Which French comic book series was turned into a film starring Oscar winning Jean Dujardin?
- How do you spell “choir” and “heart” in French?
- Who is the French singer known as “Cloclo”?
- Which salad, with multiple variations mostly include boiled eggs, tuna, and green beans is named after a town on the Riviera?
- Which nightly soap opera set in Marseille has aired over 3000 episodes since 2004?
- How many French films had over 1 million admissions in cinemas in 2017?
- With over 300 fashion shows in Paris every year and 1,000,000 jobs in the industry, what percentage of French GDP is generated by the fashion industry?
- The Le Pliage handbag is lightweight, practical, and synonymous with French style with over 32 million bags sold to date; which brand created this line of bags?
- Who designed the Stravinsky fountain outside the Centre George Pompidou in Paris and was known for her voluptuous and colourful sculptures?