Here you will find inspiring articles on nature, food and drink, and culture – the simple pleasures that make living in France such a joy. You can also enjoy bilingual crosswords, quizzes, book and film reviews – plus lifestyle and travel ideas. We have organised articles by subject – read the latest below or browse sections via the blue tabs. The Cx symbol denotes subscriber-only articles.
Oh la vache! Animal expressions abound in French
12 French words that change dependent on region
Oups, hop, paf: French mini expressions that say a lot
Sorceress, midwife, poisoner: meet ‘La Voisin’
French films review - April 2019
Accordion music finds new fans among the young
Green news in France - April 2019
Grower’s digest - April 2019
An optimistic look at future of France’s wildlife
Secret history of French villages - April 2019
Secret history of buildings - March 2019
Try our French quiz
- Who painted the “Liberty Leading the People”?
- What are April fools called in French?
- His “nom de plume” was Voltaire; do you know his real name?
- How do you spell “colonist” and “colon”in French?
- Name the singer/songwriter and poet born in Sète who was awarded the Grand Prix de Poésie by the Académie française in 1967.
- Which famous French dish inspired an eponymous animation film in 2007?
- How many times has France won Eurovision?
- What revolutionary item of clothing did Jacques Heim and Louis Réard invent in 1946?
- Christian tradition prohibits the ringing of church bells for 3 days between Maundy Thursday and Easter Sunday while mourning Christ. To explain this, French children were told that the bells were sent to Rome to be blessed and would return dropping gifts along the way… What do the bells bring back with them?
- Which French company is known worldwide for its advertising systems in bus stops, public bicycle rental systems, and billboards?
Quoi de neuf - French shopping in April 2019
Simplicity is key to this spiritual retreat
Loading some business profiles...
Loading some classifieds...