Cookie Consent by French News and Views in English | The Connexion Can I insure for car rental excess in France?

Can I insure for car rental excess in France?

Are there firms which insure French residents for the excess on car rental insurance in France?  J.H.

25 September 2019
By Hugh MacDonald

Yes, this is called rachat de franchise. Most car hire firms offer basic insurance, including an excess to be paid in the case of a claim due to an accident, which can be high.

They may also offer additional cover so there is no excess but this may not cover all kinds of damage and could be costly.

So an independent rachat de franchise policy is an option, whether by the day or year, with forms such as SereniTrip and Euro Assistance.

Some credit cards also have this insurance cover included in the service, so it is worth checking with your card provider.


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages. Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now