Ignore French tax law at your peril, leave UK behind

Beware if you are moving from the UK to France and wanting to carry on being treated as a UK resident

 Almost half the people we deal with have seen their UK financial advisers, set up their ISAs and National Savings schemes and pay their taxes only in the UK.

“How will they find out? They can’t prove anything” are the scary common replies.

Firstly, forget the legalities; if you are moving to a new country, is disrespecting the way its citizens do things, including their laws, the right thing to do?

There is a feeling that people can come from other countries and treat your country with contempt, belittling the local rule of law, as somehow being of less importance than those of their own country.

Article 123 of the French tax code states that residents must declare their worldwide income. This ...

To read the remaining 85% of this article, you need to either

Subscribe now to The Connexion and benefit from access to our archived articles since 2006

Print + Digital 3 month subscription

Pay every three months. Our most flexible subscription.

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

Print + Digital 1 year subscription

1 year of great reading in print and online

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

Digital 1 year subscription (Our best value offer)

1 year of great reading online *no paper*

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

Digital 3 month subscription

3 months of great reading online *no paper*

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

More articles from Money
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you