Cookie Consent by Pay French fiscal debts with a stamp French News and Views in English | The Connexion

Pay French fiscal debts with a stamp

I have received an email from the Direction des Finances about buying un timbre fiscal. What is this for? Why do I need it?  P.E.

27 June 2018
By Hugh MacDonald

When debts are due to the tax office, they can, in addition to being paid in the normal way by cheque or bank transfer, be paid by using fiscal stamps, the ‘timbre fiscal’.

These stamps can be paper or electronic and can be used for anything that is due to the tax office such as for driving licences, boat licences, foreign resident cards or some court proceedings.

They are available from the tax office, so, for example, instead of including a cheque for a passport renewal, one can enclose a fiscal stamp.

Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Send your financial query to 

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now