Your personal tax allowance is still valid in the EEA

We have a house in Brittany and plan to retire there when my husband is 65 in January 2020. He has a UK army pension which will be taxed in the UK under the dual tax agreement with France but will he still have his tax-free allowance (we may rent out our house in England and I read in a recent Connexion that rental income is taxable in the UK after personal tax allowance)?  S.H.

For the UK, government income and rental income are always taxed in the UK (government income being a pension from the diplomatic service, the government, the military, the emergency services and similar) – but not the state pension.


To read the remaining 85% of this article, you need to either

Subscribe now to The Connexion and benefit from access to our archived articles since 2006

1 Year (12 editions) (Our best value offer)

1 year of great reading in print and online

Subscription automatically renews so you don't miss an edition (but you can switch this off at any time!).

Freedom Subscription

Pay every three months. Our most flexible subscription

Subscription automatically renews so you don't miss an edition (but you can switch this off at any time!)

More articles from Money
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...