Capital gains tax rules in France and the UK

When it comes to selling a property, and you know that the sale price will be greater than what you paid for it, one of the immediate concerns might be to know how much the tax office is going to take.

Even when just based in your own country, this can get complicated but the minute things are international, involving more than one tax office, things can get yet more… exciting!

Let’s take, for example, a British citizen, living in France, selling their second home (maybe a former main home) in the UK.

The last update to the UK / France tax treaty agreed that UK property could be taxed where the owner lives, thus in this case France.

So, this surely means just simply knowing the French rules for capital gains tax (la ...

To read the remaining 85% of this article, you need to either

Subscribe now to The Connexion and benefit from access to our archived articles since 2006

Freedom Subscription

Pay every three months. Our most flexible subscription

Subscription automatically renews so you don't miss an edition (but you can switch this off at any time!)

1 Year Subscription (12 editions) (Our best value offer)

1 year of great reading in print and online

Subscription automatically renews so you don't miss an edition (but you can switch this off at any time!).

More articles from Money
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...