Buying French house share and CGT

We are both divorced and not remarried and live and pay tax in the UK. We bought a second home in France in 1997, ‘en indivision’. I have two children and my partner a son from the previous marriages. She wants to help her son buy UK property so I plan to buy her half share of the French house. Should I do this after 2019 to avoid CGT and the 22-year rule? As outright owner, should I add a codicil to my UK will to ensure only my children inherit? What French or UK taxes do I face and are there other drawbacks?  J.G.

Firstly, (and generally) if you are divorced, and not remarried, your new partner has no automatic inheritance right if not left an interest in a will. Interestingly, too, a UK divorce automatically revokes a gift to an ex-spouse in an old will, but ...

To read the remaining 85% of this article, you need to either

Subscribe now to The Connexion and benefit from access to our archived articles since 2006

Freedom Subscription

Pay every three months. Our most flexible subscription.

Subscription automatically renews so you don't miss an edition (you can switch this off at any time)

1 Year Subscription (12 editions) (Our best value offer)

1 year of great reading in print and online

Subscription automatically renews so you don't miss an edition (you can switch this off at any time).

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...