Insurance for house-sitters for my French home?

If I allow house-sitters to live in my house out of season, are there any tax/insurance implications?

25 September 2019

There may be home insurance implications and you should speak to your insurer to check this use of your home is covered.

The government recommends you check whether or not your contract includes une clause villégiature.

The home-sitter should have third-party insurance of their own. Most home insurance policies of the multirisques habitation type include such a garantie responsabilité civile.

If they do not have this, you should ask them to take one out specifically, otherwise you may not be covered for any damage they might cause.

There should not be any tax implications but take care the home-sitters do not become liable to paying your taxe d’habitation if they could be construed as occupying your house free of charge on January 1 (check with the tax office if in doubt).


This edited Q&A is taken from our Owing a Second Home in France helpguide. Order at the helpguide section of

Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now