Covid-19: Second home owners and prescriptions

We are at our second home in France (Covid-19 confinement started when we were here) and have decided not to travel but we risk running out of our usual medication and we are not signed up with a French GP. What can we do?

The advice is to contact a local GP to your home in France and ask if they can give you an equivalent prescription to cover you during the period you are in France.

People are being asked to limit physical appointments as much as possible so ring the local surgery for advice. If you find it difficult to explain in French, you can find an English-speaking doctor for a telemedicine consultation via the online appointments website,

You should still be able to have European health cover via the free European Health Insurance (Ehic) card up to December 31 2020, when the Brexit transition period ends.

This entitles you to state provided medical treatment during your stay. If you do not have your Ehic with you or you have lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team on 00 44 191 218 1999 to get a provisional replacement certificate.


For more on English-speaking doctors in France see: 

Finding English-speaking doctors in France

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

More articles from Your Questions
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you