Do we need to register our new B&B as a business?

We are starting a chambres d’hôtes at our farm and are unsure about just declaring the small income or registering a business (eg. micro-entrepreneur). 

27 March 2019

If you provide B&B lets at home, you must make a declaration of your chambres d’hôtes to the mairie on form 3566*02 (

You can drop it in by hand, post it by recorded delivery or scan and email it.

Some mairies also offer an online option. Chambres d’hôtes benefit from the micro-BIC tax system, with the higher income threshold of €170,000, and an abatement of 71% of the income for income tax.

Note that you must comply with certain basic standards concerning size of room, access to bathroom facilities, breakfast and linen.

However, the Direction Géné­rale des Entreprises (part of the Economy Ministry) says if the activity is of a “habitual nature” (or where it is your main work activity), you must also register as a business.

In this case, farmers offering B&B at the farm are asked to register it as a secondary activity with the chamber of agriculture (other people register at the chamber of commerce, for example as micro-entrepreneurs).

Farmers’ B&B income is sometimes added to their agricultural income or sometimes declared as separate micro-BIC income.

It would be best to seek advice from the chamber or a professional, such as an accountant, on your circumstances and whether your activity will be deemed sufficiently “regular” to need the extra level of formalities.

This question was answered by Olaf Muscat Baron who is a Fellow of the Chartered Association of Accountants UK, a French expert comptable and an International tax advisor.

He is the principal accountant of Fiscaly, an accountancy firm based in the Dordogne.

See or call 09 81 09 00 15

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Brexit and Beyond for Britons in France*
Featured Help Guide
What the Brexit deal means for UK residents of France, second homeowners and visitors in 2021 and after
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now