At-source tax in first year of move

I will be moving to France soon. My income is pensions from the UK. Do I have to do anything in relation to the new at-source income tax in my first year?  G.V.

27 February 2019
By Hugh MacDonald

The first year of taxation in France is done on direct assessment at the end of the tax year, so there is nothing special to do in your first year.

As your income is not French, tax cannot be taken off  “at source”, so in your second year, the fisc (French tax authorities) operate a system of monthly automated payments.

Do not forget when you submit your first tax declaration to also submit the HMRC SI 2009 Number 226 form, so that your taxation can be transferred from the UK to France.


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now