Scooter permits and driving issues in France

I want to do the one-day training to be able to ride a 125cc scooter but is it possible with a British driving licence? I have held a car licence since the 1970s. One local driving school told me it is not possible. Is that true?  R.R.

25 December 2019
By Oliver Rowland

You were wrongly informed, so we suggest telling the school or trying a different one.

The official French government website states that it is possible to follow the seven-hour training for car licence-holders if you hold a licence from an EU country (so this may not be possible after Brexit and any transition period).

Other EU states’ licences are deemed the equivalent of a French licence and there is no obligation to swap them for a French licence to use while living in France and no reason not to take the scooter course.

Your UK licence must, of course, still be in its validity period. Find a session with a local provider with internet terms such as formation 7 heures 125 and the name of your local town.

Another condition is that you should have passed your car driving test more than two years ago.

There is a theory session about road safety and responsible riding and an outing in town traffic and outside in the countryside.

At the end of the course you receive a certificate, which you need to carry with you when using a scooter.


Send your queries about life in France by email to  

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Income Tax in France 2021 (for 2020 income)*
Featured Help Guide
Order your Income Tax in France guide now for immediate digital access
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now