Taxation for work done outside France

I live in France but my wife works abroad. She had a three-year contract in the Middle East but was made redundant. She went to court for wrongful dismissal and won a sum which represented the full earnings she would have earned. Is this taxable in France if transferred? She was assessed locally but had nothing to pay. Now she works in Central Asia. Will the French tax her? It has been suggested to me that she has to be out of France for six months in the year to avoid it. She pays tax there at 12%.  P.F.

You live in France but the issue is whether your wife is also considered a fiscal resident. 

Each spouse can be resident fiscally in a different country and for some people being non- French resident may be more advantageous, considering French rates of tax and social charges.

This will not always be the case, bearing in mind, for example, your ...

To read the remaining 85% of this article, you need to either

Subscribe now to The Connexion and benefit from access to our archived articles since 2006

Freedom Subscription

Pay every three months. Our most flexible subscription.

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

1 Year Subscription (12 editions)

1 year of great reading in print and online

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

Digital Subscription (1 Year) (Our best value offer)

1 year of great reading online *no paper*

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

Digital subscription (freedom - 3 months)

3 months of great reading online *no paper*

Automatic renewal, cancel anytime

More articles from Your Questions
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...