Who can help in solar panel dispute?

I am battling with EDF to be paid properly for my solar energy as my meter is faulty. Is there a body I can call on for help? S.W.

27 March 2019
By Oliver Rowland

Generally speaking, if you have a dispute with an energy supplier, the usual route is to speak to its customer services team by telephone.

If this does not resolve the issue, make a written complaint (réclamation) to the customer service department. In the case of EDF, this is located in Blois. Full details for EDF and several other companies are available at tinyurl.com/y2r8t5h9.

If this fails, you can then appeal to the médiateur de l’énergie (information on the same link) who may be able to intervene.

However, the mediation service told Connexion that a contract to resell your electricity to EDF is different from the ordinary customer/supplier relationship, and they are not able to help in this particular case.

They advised that you should seek help from Hespul, an association specialised in the solar panel electricity sector. You can visit its websites at hespul.org and photovoltaique.info.

Hespul also runs a free helpline on Thursdays from 14.00 to 17.30 on 04 37 47 80 90.

You can also email them on pv@hespul.org either in French or English.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Brexit and Beyond for Britons in France*
Featured Help Guide
What the Brexit deal means for UK residents of France, second homeowners and visitors in 2021 and after
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now