top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Second-home owners: 'carte de sejour’ rights?

Many thanks for the links to translations of the French Interior Ministry’s advice for Britons living in France after Brexit (available online in Connexion’s dedicated Brexit section at

I have seen reference elsewhere to a carte de séjour visiteur. Could this apply to second home-owners and enable them to stay longer?

I understand they would have to prove that they have a main residence in the UK and are financially independent and would not be reliant on the French state. Is that correct?

Jayne Barber, by email


We reply: All cartes are for full-time residents. The carte you mention is for non-EU citizens who do not qualify for a long-stay card (eg. those resident for less than five years) and who are not working or studying. It lasts a year and is renewable. Holders need to prove they have their own means and must not work. After Brexit, and any possible transition period, normal rules for non-EU visitors would apply to British second home-owners but they are not expected to need visitor visas (we are assuming this would be in place in time in a no-deal). Those wishing to come for more than three months, and able to support themselves, could apply for a six-month visa, which involves providing full details of their intended trip and a £99 fee. It is for a specific stay and needs to be applied for at least three months before they travel across.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France