top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Last days to pre-order Inheritance guide

There are just a few days left to order The Connexion’s 2017-2018 French Inheritance Law helpguide at the special price of €8.50.

This year’s version of the guide, aimed at English-speakers living in France or with French homes, includes a four-page section on making a will in France.

As well as information on legal and tax matters related to inheritance, there are also chapters on coping with dependency in older age, French care homes and on the formalities to follow after a death.

Topics include the French ‘reserve’ system for children as well as the 2015 EU inheritance regulation, which allows a choice of the law of your nationality, as well as French legal concepts such as the SCI, the tontine or the pacte de famille.

We also cover marriage regimes in France.

For more information see this link. 

The guide is available as a download or in a printed version for €8.50 (plus P&P for printed versions) until midnight on Monday September 18. From September 19 it will cost €9.90.

The following reader questions have been answered in the guide:

  • May I sell French house to my son but live in it?
  • What are the rights of 'former' stepchildren of residents of France?
  • Can I leave house to grandchildren, not my child?
  • Do I need an avocat?
  • Inheriting from Ireland: What do I do?
  • Can funds be left 'in trust' for my young son?
  • How can I plan for changes in pound to euro exchange rate if I am waiting for an inheritance?
  • Can we close SCI which no longer suits our plans?
  • Does French law apply if I am in France for a year?
  • Where should I have money paid in?
  • Where can I find an English-speaking notaire?
  • My husband wants my grandchildren to inherit
  • Can French home be gifted to just one child if both agree?
  • Can unmarried partner stay in a French home after the other partner dies?
  • Can home held in SCI be left to survivor and not children?
  • Can survivor of couple sell house?
  • Will UK will still apply to couple living in France?
  • How can son prove he is an only child?
  • Benefits of making a lifetime gift to sons
  • Marriage or French pacs to avoid tax
  • Tontine and the EU regulation
  • How can we mitigate large tax bill?
  • Who do we tell in the event of death in France?
  • Should I take French nationality ?
  • What happens to sterling deposits?
  • Can wife adopt my children if we become French?
  • Does heirs' disability affect taxation?
  • How does a French resident get probate for UK assets?
  • How can we leave to our nephew?
  • Inheriting from my UK-based parents
  • What protection for survivor if not married?
  • Is will needed if we do not own a home in France?
  • Help available for second wife 
  • Should I pay French inheritance tax?
  • Ways to reduce inheritance tax
  • Must I update my UK will for France?
  • Do we need French and UK wills?
  • Can a child be excluded?
  • Should I take dual nationality?
  • Can we make a will as a couple in France?
  • What effect will Brexit have?
  • English wills of French resident
  • Problems with 'two-stage' bequest
  • Can we help grandsons in future?
  • Will daughter have to pay high tax?
  • Does English law give total freedom?
  • Can an Irish citizen in France disinherit their child?
  • Effect of tontine under the EU rule
  • We are not married - who would inherit our property?

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France