top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Buying a second home in France with a family loan

Partner article: What is the impact on taxes and inheritance when buying a property in France with a family loan from the UK?

If your borrowing exceeds €5,000 in a year, it would need to be declared at the same time as making your income tax return Pic: Nikolay Dimitrov - ecobo / Shutterstock

Reader question: We have been offered money to buy a second home, from a family member in the UK. It would be a loan we would need to pay back at some point but the terms are generous. How would it impact the buying process, inheritance, taxes?

If a family member loans you the money and they are UK-resident, from a French buying point of view, you are a cash buyer.

The lender would be wise to ensure a formal loan agreement is drawn up, in case you are unable to make payments. In case either of you die, the debt can be evidenced and paid out of the debtor’s estate.

If the lender dies, the heirs can take over the debt that becomes due to them.

To record the loan in France, you would use a reconnaissance de dette (like a promissory note or a basic loan agreement).

This can either be done between you privately, or a notaire can prepare it for you and register this in France, and even secure it against the property, giving the lender additional protection. This would incur additional fees, though.

Registration is not obligatory, but is helpful as it proves the existence of the debt and allows inheritance rights to connect to it.

You can arrange registration yourself – the fee is €125. If a notaire drafts the document, they will deal with the registration.

From an inheritance tax point of view, the debt, if registered, would reduce your net estate. It would be paid out of the estate and is not subject to inheritance tax.

Note that if you borrow more than €5,000 in a year, you need to declare it at the same time as making your income tax return, on form 2062. Where the person lending is a French (rather than UK) resident, then for any amount over €1,500 they should record the loan using a reconnaissance de dette.

Author: John Kitching, French Law Consultancy. French Law Consultancy provides French legal advice

Related stories

Six ways to reduce your French inheritance tax

Visitor visa for France: How do we prove we own our second home?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France