top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

How does new UK civil partnership affect rights to my French property?

A reader asks about the rights she and her partner now have over her existing second home

Property laws when you are dealing with two different countries can be complicated, but in this instance the answer is straightforward Pic: canbedone / Shutterstock

Reader Question: My French second home is in my name. I have since entered into a civil partnership in the UK. How does this affect my rights to the property and my partner’s rights?

Inheritance and property ownership can be a complicated subject, especially when dealing with laws and legislation in two different countries, as is the case here.

Fortunately, in this instance the answer is clear. 

“The good news is that the UK civil partnership does not affect the reader’s ownership of the French property,” said John Kitching, director of French Law Consultancy, a firm that assists British clients with French assets.

“But the ‘bad news’ (depending on whether you wanted a change or not) is the same fact – notably because there is no right of the partner to inherit automatically on intestacy [if no will is made] unless the civil partnership has been registered as a marriage. For more on how to make this change see here.

Points to note if there are children

“Basically, [if the reader wants this to happen] she needs to make a will, and if she leaves the property to their civil partner under the will, then this inheritance would be tax-free.

“The reader should note, however, that if she has any children, they will be reserved heirs under French law, meaning they have automatic rights over part of the value of the property.”

Until recently this was not generally a problem with holiday homes as France applied an EU rule that the law of the country of last main residence should apply to the estate of residents abroad who own property in France. UK law generally does not have forced heirship rules, although Scotland has a limited version, but not concerning real estate.

However, a French law dating from last year gives children who do not inherit their usual ‘reserved share’ under French heirship rules [due to the deceased selecting for the inheritance law of another country] the right to ask for compensation out of any part of the deceased’s estate located in France. 

Generally, if you own a property in France, the best way to ensure that it passes on to the person or people you want is to draw up [or have a notaire draw up] a will in France, even if you already have a UK will.

A French notaire or a UK lawyer specialising in French law, should be able to advise if necessary.

Related articles

Will my French estate go to my civil partner when I die?

Will my UK will ensure my French second home passes to my child?

Can I destroy my old will now I have a French one that elects UK law?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France