Do I pay twice for insurance?

Like many expats who have retired, I enjoy golf, boules and randonnée, and my wife does Scottish dancing.

28 August 2019

For all these pastimes in France you have to have a licence, and/or a letter from your doctor, despite the fact that if you take out car and house insurance you are told you are covered for personal accident.

If you query why you need all these licences in order to enjoy yourself, the answer in all cases is that “it is to cover insurance”.

I once had an accident when my golf-cart overturned and I damaged my hand.

The fire brigade was called and arrived quickly, giving me first aid, and took me to hospital. A doctor put in 26 stitches and bandaged me up.

The hospital charged me 50 centimes after I produced my carte vitale.

Presumably, the fire brigade is funded by our taxes ?

Please can someone explain the need for all these insurances? I would be quite happy to have my personal insurance and the fire brigade’s.

Douglas Duncan, Cotignac

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

subscribe newsletter image
Stay informed, have your say, join the community
Boost your inbox with our editor’s pick of news and information about France for residents and second homeowners
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Updated! Brexit and Britons In France
Featured Help Guide
What Brexit means for British residents, second homeowners and visitors in France - now and after December 31, 2020.
Get news, views and information from France