Don’t bin your Ehic card yet

Your editor’s note (August issue) quotes a UK Department of Health spokesman as saying: “Someone moving to France with the intention of remaining there permanently will no longer be entitled to use a UK Ehic in France…” 

28 August 2019

This may be true but my understanding is that a UK Ehic card will still be needed to obtain treatment in other countries of the EU when travelling. It is the UK government that is ultimately responsible for payment. Readers should therefore not be encouraged to throw away their Ehic cards.

What the situation will be after October 31 is anybody’s guess.

John Corley, Labatut-Rivière

Editor’s note:

Thank you for pointing that out. The initial query was about moving to France.

However, it is a good point to make and correct that, at present, British S1 holders in France should use an Ehic when visiting other EU countries (other than the UK or France) and not the French equivalent (called a Ceam).

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Get news, views and information from France