The Connexion is hiring a Deputy Editor
We are looking for a Deputy Editor to join The Connexion team at a pivotal point in its growth
We are looking for a Deputy Editor to join The Connexion team at a pivotal point in its growth as a news organisation providing French news and information to international residents, property owners and visitors to France.
Your role will be to support the Editor-in-chief in producing high-quality, useful and compelling content all about France for our rapidly expanding audience of paying subscribers across both our print and digital channels.
We need someone who is willing to play a leading part in the long-term development of The Connexion and be a key figure in the company, taking ownership of the brand and its outlets as they evolve.
The Deputy Editor would therefore need to relocate to the south of France to join the team in our office in Monaco on a daily basis, although working from home one or more days a week is possible.
French-speaking ability along with experience of living in France is a must, as well as having journalistic qualifications and experience.
- Selection of articles and defining topics for coverage online and in our monthly print edition
- New ideas and topics to expand and improve our range of practical guides to living in France, plus helping to see new guides through to publication
- Chief sub-editing of copy produced by our team of in-house journalists and freelance correspondents
- Working closely with the Editor-in-chief to commission content for connexionfrance.com and our monthly print edition
- Support with coordinating content operations, including helping supervise the team (in-house and remote) to improve their work
- Support the development of the connexionfrance.com website as it undergoes a subscriber-first redesign
- Liaise with marketing activities across analytics, SEO and social media, and feed that information into the editorial decision-making process
- Deputise for the Editor-in-chief when needed
Required skills and competencies
- Fluent French
- Experience/knowledge of life in France to understand our readership
- Experience in a news environment, sub-editing content for both print and digital mediums and commissioning
- Experience of making complex articles, topics and information accessible
- NCTJ-qualified and able to demonstrate relevant experience
- Track record of reporting and sub-editing at a fast pace with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and the ability to guide and offer feedback to a team of journalists
- Genuine interest in France and plenty of curiosity for the news that impacts our readers
Preferred skills and competencies
- Experience on a regional or local newspaper, ideally in the UK
- Experience in delivering and implementing editorial strategy
- Ability to assess the impact of content and whether it meets readers’ needs
- Knowledge of subscription-based or paywall models
- Adaptable and comfortable with quickly changing priorities and processes as the business grows
- Permanent and long-term position (CDI contract)
- An office in the heart of the French Riviera, near the sea and mountains
- A competitive salary
- Chance to make a difference in a growing media outlet
- Pension contributions and daily lunch allowance
- 25 days’ paid annual holiday leave
- Flexible working with work-from-home options
- A friendly, international team
Please email your CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your current position and notice period.
Deadline: December 30, 2020
If you have any questions about the job specification before you apply, please email email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive for employment, we regret that we may not able to personally respond to each candidate but thank you in advance for your interest.
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from minority groups underrepresented in our industry. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and/or disability. If you need support with the recruitment process, please let us know.