The Connexion is hiring an experienced journalist
We are looking to grow The Connexion team based in the south of France. Find out more about the role and how to apply
Pic: The Connexion
We are looking for a journalist to join The Connexion team to support its growth as a news organisation providing French news and information to international residents, property owners and visitors to France.
Your role will be to produce high-quality, useful and compelling journalism all about France for our audience of paying subscribers across both our print and digital channels.
We are looking for someone who is willing to be part of the long-term development of The Connexion. A team player, you’ll have experience working in a fast-paced news environment with the ability to switch from print to web editorial and back again.
French-speaking ability along with experience of living in France is a must as you’ll be conducting interviews in French and reporting on regional and national news.
We are a small international team based in Monaco. Three days a week office-based, the other days can be worked from home.
The role offers the chance to make an impact on our growing organisation with plenty of scope for development based on what you can bring to the team.
- Daily selection, research and writing of news articles sourced from regional and national French media for our digital edition
- Original reporting on news for relevant web stories
- Upload articles to the CMS alongside images and other rich content such as infographics, videos and social media embedded posts
- Optimise web articles for search engines, ensuring articles contain appropriate keywords and are readable on different devices
- Sub-edit and fact-check colleagues’ articles
- Produce original articles for our monthly print edition
- Collaborate with colleagues to generate new story ideas
- Identify opportunities to improve content in print and online to help improve the subscriber experience
- Be data-informed and able to implement insights from analytics to ensure our content is widely read
Required skills and competencies
- Fluent French (equivalent to at least B2 level of the CEFR)
- Experience/knowledge of life in France to understand our readership
- Experience working in a newsroom
- Experience making complex information accessible
- NCTJ-qualified or able to demonstrate relevant journalistic experience
- Track record of reporting at a fast pace with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail
Preferred skills and competencies
- Experience at a regional or local newspaper
- Genuine interest in France; eager to keep on top of French news, talk to the community and get to the heart of a story
- Knowledge of subscription-based or paywall models
- Adaptable and comfortable with quickly changing priorities and processes as the business grows
- Permanent and long-term position (CDI contract). 39-hour working week.
- An office in the heart of the French Riviera, near the sea and mountains
- Remote working possible 2 days of the week
- A competitive salary
- Chance to make a difference in a growing media outlet
- Pension contributions and daily lunch allowance
- 25 days’ paid annual holiday leave
- A friendly, international team
Please email your CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com, stating your current location and notice period. Applications by October 20, 2021.
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from minority groups underrepresented in our industry. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and/or disability. If you need support with the recruitment process, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.