Pensioners in France should apply for new UK Ehic

Under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement (WA) deal, British state pensioners are still entitled to valid Ehics to use whilst travelling around the EU next year

26 November 2020
Pensioners living in France are advised to apply for new UK Ehic cards
By Connexion journalist

British state pensioners who have the S1 form for their healthcare – and others with one of the old equivalent E forms – should apply for a new UK Ehic card.

Under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement (WA) deal, they are still entitled to valid Ehics to use during trips around the EU next year, unlike Britons living in the UK.

They will, however, need a newly issued one. For more information, call the Overseas Healthcare Service on 00 44 191 218 1999.

Ehics are used for healthcare when you travel in EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. They cover you for medically necessary state healthcare.

Note that British pensioners in France with S1 forms for their French healthcare will still be eligible next year for free NHS healthcare on trips to the UK, as now.

This is unlikely to be the case for pensioners coming to France from next year. Like Britons living abroad outside the EU, they are not expected to be entitled to S1 forms.

Related stories

Residency cards: Minimal income levels defined for retirees

British Ambassador to France: Looking ahead to 2021

Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now