Here you will find inspiring articles on nature, food and drink, and culture – the simple pleasures that make living in France such a joy. You can also enjoy bilingual crosswords, quizzes, book and film reviews – plus lifestyle and travel ideas. We have organised articles by subject – read the latest below or browse sections via the blue tabs. The Cx symbol denotes subscriber-only articles.
Tiny library is a big success
Trending Now: Retro Holidays
The simple road sign that means so much to 5,000 communes in France
A picture paints a thousand words
Swearing in a second language is easier
Learning to love the nuances of language
Many hands make puppets work
American playground is tourist hotspot
Work to save tower fit for a king
Not just a maze but water lilies, lotus and frogs
The secret to telling a male green woodpecker from a female
Chaffinches sing a powerful song
Secret History of Buildings: Maisons sur l’Agout
11 museums you may not have heard of
French quiz - May 2017
- The favourite food of the fictional Gaul Obélix and widespread throughout much of modern rural France, what kind of mammal is a ‘sanglier’?
- Named in honour of a French physicist who died in 1836, what is the standard international unit of electric current?
- Formerly ‘Les Guignols de l’Info’ and going strong since 1988, Canal+ TV’s puppet-based Les Guignols was heavily influenced by which British TV show?
- Before the adoption of the Euro in January 2002, the French franc was divided into one hundred what?
- What is France’s oldest surviving daily national newspaper? First published in 1826, it takes its name from the title of a play by Pierre de Beaumarchais.
- Which city on the French Riviera hosts an annual film festival usually held in May?
- In July 1921, who was the only French boxer ever to contest a world heavyweight title fight? He lost in four rounds to Jack Dempsey, in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- The Carmelite nun Thérèse Martin, who was canonised a saint in 1925 just 28 years after her early death from TB, is associated with which town in Normandy?
- What colour is the large diamond on a French road sign which advises that you are driving on a ‘route prioritaire’, and do not have to give way?
- In a verse epistle of 1768, which Frenchman made the famous observation that “if God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.”?