Here you will find inspiring articles on nature, food and drink, and culture – the simple pleasures that make living in France such a joy. You can also enjoy bilingual crosswords, quizzes, book and film reviews – plus lifestyle and travel ideas. We have organised articles by subject – read the latest below or browse sections via the blue tabs. The Cx symbol denotes subscriber-only articles.
Language notes: Matters of wealth and taste
Raising a glass to the language of intoxication
Surprise, surprise: my arms are falling off
Art restored with a time-travel flourish
Film review: Slack Bay
Art exhibition shows new side of psychiatric hospital
Open Gardens will keep on giving
Green news and grower's digest, November
November gardening column: Time to lay down some roots
Glasshouse with glorious past has a bright future
Photo of the month: Fontevraud Abbey
- What does the word ‘bio’ on an item in a French shop or market indicate?
- Which French fashion magazine founded in 1945 is said to have featured its namesake supermodel in every issue for six years during the 1980s?
- 67 of France’s 96 metropolitan départements take their names from what?
- Parisian actress Bérénice Marlohe played the rather short-lived love interest in which James Bond film?
- After which French port did explorer Louis-Antoine de Bougainville name what are now known as the Falkland Islands, when he founded a colony there in 1764?
- Which French sports goods manufacturer supplied the shirts in which Tottenham Hotspur won memorable FA Cup Final victories in 1981 and 82?
- Which US state has a capital with a French name, possibly derived from the settlement there in the 17th century of a group of Trappist monks?
- In 2005 at Amiens University Hospital Isabelle Dinoire was the first person ever to undergo what pioneering surgical operation, after being mauled by a dog?
- What 500-year old French trick-taking card game for two players, uses a deck of 32 cards, and has a name which might bring to mind a F1 world champion?
- Between 1309 and 1377 seven successive popes resided in which French commune in south-eastern France?