Declaring UK rental income

Q: I would like to clarify a point about declaring UK rental income on my French income declaration for 2017 income.

30 April 2018
By Connexion journalist

I understand that UK rental income is not taxable in France but France takes it into account.

I expect to benefit from a 30% allowance on the income from France. Should I declare the UK income gross or with deduction of the expenses that were allowed in my UK self-assessment form?

Also is it possible to find the tax forms in English? I consider myself pretty fluent but the forms are so technical it would be interesting to see exact translations.


A: Firstly no, the French tax forms are not available in English, unfortunately.

As for the UK rental income, if the amount is under €15,000 and you wish to take advantage of the simple micro-foncier system which offers a set expenses abatement of 30%, then you should declare the gross income earned from the UK rental property.

This income should be declared on the 2047 and 2042 as indicated in our French Income Tax helpguide. It is not necessary to fill out the form 2044, which is for rental incomes over the micro threshold and/or for which you are claiming ‘real’ expenses, for which you have retained proof (invoices etc).

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Get news, views and information from France