Working for foreign firm in France

A firm in Italy wants to employ me working from home in France. Is it possible?  H.E.

25 September 2019
By Hugh MacDonald

Yes, though as you would be working in France your employer must pay French social security contributions.

The situation would be different if you were living in France but commuting to Italy.

EU rules say cross-border workers pay social security contributions to the country where they work.

You could set up a French business and charge the Italian company for your work.

If the company has a branch in France that can employ you, that also is no problem.

However, if you would be directly employed by the firm in Italy, it would need to pay contributions to the Centre National des Firmes Etrangères and abide by French working practices, such as offering you a subsidised health mutuelle.

The firm has to register with the CNFE on form E0 to obtain a Siret number and to open an account to pay the contributions to CMFE. There is more information at and


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages. Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now