top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

French tropic link to UK fuel pay ban

UK winter fuel allowance ban for expats in France may be because temperature calculation includes tropical overseas departments

THE FIVE French overseas departments - all of which have tropical climates - were included in the calculation of France's average winter temperature which was then used to determine whether British expatriates should continue to receive the winter fuel allowance, Connexion has found.

The Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique, the Indian Ocean islands of Réunion and Mayotte and French Guiana in South America were all included. Méteo France data is only available for the first three online but shows an average winter temperature of 26C.

The islands' temperatures were used with those of mainland France to gain an average which was then compared with 5.6C for the south-west of England. If the resulting figure was higher - as was the case with France - the country was deemed "too hot" and the payments will be stopped.

This may explain why Italy, which does not have any overseas tropical territories, was deemed acceptably cold while France was not.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokeswoman said the DOMs were included because they are considered to be part of France and therefore the EU - so Britons who live there could claim the winter fuel allowance. Connexion is searching for information on how many Britons live in these departments.

If you believe WFA should not be stopped for Britons in France sign the petition at

This is open to UK residents or nationals - if your non-UK postcode is not accepted, leave that section blank.

The Connexion will be following up this issue in our next edition. To subscribe to ensure a copy see or call Nathalie on 06 40 61 71 97.

To comment on the WFA withdrawal email news[at] or join the discussion on Facebook.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France