top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Do I have to swap driving licence?

I have a second home in France where I live for about four months a year - do I need French driving licence?

I have a second home in France where I live for about four months a year. My main home is in the UK. I have a car that I brought over from the UK and which is now registered in France. Do I need to change my driving licence to a French one if I am flashed? W.S.

A Transport Ministry spokesman said that, no, someone whose main residence is in the UK does not have to change their licence to a French one if they are flashed. You are only required to pay the fine.

In fact you cannot change to a French one if your residence is not in France. Your main country of residence is usually taken as being the one where you spend more than 185 days a year (ie. more than half of the calendar year).

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France