top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

France lockdown: Forms to leave the house from November 28

As more travel is allowed in France but lockdown travel exemption forms are still required we explain the new rules for leaving the house.

As the first stage of deconfinement starts on November 28, people in France will be permitted more reasons to leave the house. But France’s travel exemption forms are not going anywhere. 

As President Macron said in his speech on November 24: “The system of travel exemption forms will stay in place [for the first stage of deconfinement], as that is what has allowed us to get good results.”

Click here to get the updated attestations from the government website

This first stage of deconfinement will last until December 15, meaning travel exemption forms will be required for all journeys outside the home until this date at the earliest. In some circumstances, people will also need to carry supporting documents to justify journeys, such as cartes vitales, proof of address, or even tickets for events.  

As non-essential shops reopen, and exercise is permitted within a 20km radius for up to three hours, we look at the extra documentation that will be required to leave the house.

What papers do I need to go to work?

As before, if you are leaving the house to go to work you will need a travel exemption form, a completed justification form from your employer, and some form of identification, such as a passport, ID card or carte vitale.

You should also carry proof of address, such as a quittance de loyer (proof of rent payments), gas or electricity bill, or taxe d'habitation bill, with your name on it.

What papers do I need to leave the house for family reasons? 

In addition to a travel exemption form, you will need to provide some proof that the person you are going to help is a family member. This could be a birth certificate, or livret de famille, for example. 

If you are running an errand, such as getting medicine for a family member, you should carry a copy of the prescription with their name on it.

Prime Minister Jean Castex also indicated that travel tickets could be used as a form of proof in a speech discussing previous curfew rules on October 15. He said people taking a train should show their travel tickets if they were asked by police. Family members travelling to a train station to collect a family member should show a copy ticket of the person travelling.

What papers do I need to leave the house for health reasons?

It is permitted to leave the house to attend medical appointments that cannot be carried out via video consultation. 

In this case you must travel with a travel exemption form and proof of your appointment such as SMS confirmation, as should anyone who needs to travel with you.

If you are going to the pharmacy, a prescription with your name on it will be accepted as proof.


What papers do I need to go to school, or take someone to school?

As well as a travel exemption form you will need a completed justification form from the school, or from the Mairie if you are going to a crèche.

In order to sit an exam you will need to provide the letter informing you of the time and place of your exam.

Minors under the age of 18 do not need to carry travel exemption forms unless they are travelling alone. 

What papers do I need to go to move house, or do a property viewing?

You can move house during confinement, with a maximum of six people allowed to help you.

You and any helpers should carry travel exemption forms and documentation such as proof of sale or a tenancy agreement.  

Property viewings will be allowed from November 28. The prime minister will confirm whether estate agents will reopen in a speech today (November 26). 

What papers do I need for cultural activities?

Cinemas, theatres and museums should reopen from December 15. It is not yet known whether travel exemption forms will be required for journeys after this date, but evening curfew measures from 21:00 – 05:00 will be reintroduced.

The President said in his speech: “Cinemas, theatres and museums can reopen, with health protocols in place, and a timestamp system in place to allow performances at the end of the day.”

This suggests that tickets with the time written on them can be used as justification for being outside in curfew hours.

Culture Minister Roselyn Bachelot has also said that, when theatres reopen, performances will be able to go on until 21:00. 

The travel exemption form is available to print and download here (in French). There is an English version available and also an easy-read version with pictograms. There is also a digital version available via the TousAntiCovid smartphone app. 

Related stories

Infographic: France's 3-step deconfinement at a glance

France lockdown: How to calculate your 20km exercise zone

Restaurants in France wait for January reopening

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now