In other updates today ministers have referred to Disneyland Paris closing, Brexit talks being called off, football matches being cancelled, and new measures regarding children's schooling.
The French government states France is going to have the “most protective system in Europe”.
The latest updates include:
- Gatherings of people of more than 100 at once, are banned. This is expected to especially affect venues like cinemas and theatres.
- Following the suspension of rugby matches in France, Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 football championships are being suspended immediately until further notice. In the UK the Premiership League football matches are being suspended until April 3.
- A second round of ‘future relationship’ Brexit negotiations planned in London next week is to be cancelled, however the two sides are looking into possibilities of doing it via video links.
- The Education Mininster has insisted the school closures are not a ‘holiday’. Every parent will receive information about how to use an online tool called Ma classe à la maison. A special system of financial compensation is in place for parents who have to stop work to be with children at home.
- Disneyland Paris is closing from tomorrow (Saturday) until the end of the month. Hotels on the site will continue to operate for the time being.
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France