The pool of questions asked to applicants sitting the theory part of the French driving test was changed recently to make the questions clearer and to eliminate ambiguity.
Driving laws remain the same and you still need to score 35 correct answers out of 40 to pass. Once you have this part of the test you can prepare for the practical part.
Here are five real questions from the new theory test: can you answer them correctly? (answers at the end)
1. When my car is carrying a very heavy load, should I (one point for correct answer):
a. Increase air pressure in my tyres?
b. Decrease air pressure in my tyres?
c. Adjust the height of my tail lights so they remain at the same level?
2. On AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators):(you need to get both questions right to get a point)
a. I must be certified to use an AED (Automated External Defibrillator):
b. If a person is not in cardiac arrest, then using an AED can be harmful:
3. When seeing a road sign outside of towns (you need to get both questions right to get a point):
a. The 15% incline begins in:
I. 50 metres?
II. 150 metres?
b. I slow down by:
I. Braking continuously but slowly?
II. Braking intermittently and using the engine break?
4. When a light shows up on the dashboard (you need to get both questions right to get a point):
a. When this light is illuminated on my dashboard, in the event of an emergency brake:
I. My stopping distance will be much longer?
II. My steering wheel could get stuck?
b. I need to stop my car immediately
5. This sign indicates (one point for correct answer):
a. A school
b. A place frequented by children
c. A zebra crossing
Answers: 1.a, 2.II.II., 3.II.II., 4.I.II., 5.b