top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Will I keep my HGV categories if I swap UK licence for French one?

Keeping the categories should be fairly straightforward, but it may depend on how they were acquired originally

The rules differ about swapping a UK for a French driving licence, depending on when it was first issued Pic: H Athey / Shutterstock

Reader Question: I need to swap my UK licence for a French one. Will I retain my HGV categories?

If you passed a driving test to obtain these ‘C’ and ‘D’ categories on your UK licence, these should be transferred when you exchange it for a French licence. 

You will, however, need to have a medical and submit the 14880*02 form with your application, which you should fill in before visiting the doctor. 

You can complete it online at the following site:

This medical must be carried out by a médecin agréé (approved doctor) in your department of residence – a list of approved doctors can be found on the prefecture’s website – and costs €36. 

More complex if passed test before January 1, 1997

The process may be more complicated for people who passed their UK driving test before January 1, 1997, as they will have automatically been given the C1, C1E, D1 and D1E categories (minibuses and vans) without needing to take a specific test. 

Although the legislation changed in 1997, people who already had these categories were allowed to retain these, referred to as ‘grandfather rights’. 

Several people have reported that these grandfather rights are not being transferred when UK licences are exchanged for French ones. 

We have asked the Interior Ministry for clarification on this issue. 

Drivers with an EU licence or a UK licence obtained before 2021 need to exchange it only once it runs out. UK licences acquired after January 1, 2021, and other non-EU licences (from countries with agreements with France on exchange) must be exchanged for a French licence within a year of moving to France. 

You must also exchange if you receive a speeding fine or other driving penalty. 

Driving licences can be exchanged via the ANTS website.

Related links

French man discovers his driving licence was invalid for 32 years

What are the rules on licence-free cars in France

How long can tourists drive UK-registered cars in France for

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France