top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Back-to-school benefit paid today

The means-tested allocation de rentrée scolaire payment is up 25% this year, rising to €388.87 for older teens

THIS year’s – increased – payments of the allocation de rentrée scolaire are being paid today.

The money is means-tested and is to help cover the cost of equipping children for school.

The government estimates that the cost of the school rentrée this year is up about 1.9% on last year, in other words fairly “moderate”, essentially in line with inflation over the period. The benefit has however been put up 25%, in line with one of President Hollande’s election promises.

It is €356.20 for a child aged 6-10, €375.85 for one aged 11-14 and €388.87 for 15-18-year-olds.

Entitlement is based on household income not exceeding a certain ceiling, which is €23,200 for a family with one child, €28,544 for two or €33,908 for three and then €5,354 per child after that.

The income in question is called the revenu net categoriel and is worked out by the caisse d’allocations familiales (Caf), which makes the payments. It is usually similar to the revenu fiscal de référence mentioned on income tax bills, but the Caf may make certain extra deductions.

For families who received the allocation last year there were no formalities to complete for children aged 6-16, but for ones aged 16-18 you need to send in a justificatif de scolarité or d’aprentissage to the Car, showing the child is still in education or apprenticeship in the 2012/13 school year.

Families who never claimed it before had to complete forms for the Caf earlier in the year.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France