Three killed in storms in south of France

UPDATE: A 68-year-old British woman has been confirmed as being the person who was carried away in Cazouls-d' Hérault; she died at the CHU de Montpellier hospital on Thursday after being airlifted there. The British Embassy is supporting the family.

Three people were killed in the storms that lashed southern France over the past thee days, the Interior Ministry has revealed in a short statement.

"Over the past three days, particularly intense storms have struck the south of France, causing three deaths and major damage," the announcement said, adding only that the three victims were inhabitants of the Hérault, Gard and Pyrénées-Orientales.

It added that more than 2,000 rescue workers had been mobilised to help the region get through the extreme weather, and that they had made a total of 1,773 interventions. 

One of the victims was a woman who was carried away by the water on Wednesday in Cazouls-d'Hérault in the Hérault department, gendarmes told France 3 and France Bleu Hérault.

Contacted by France Bleu, the mayor of the town said "in front of her house, it was a torrent".

In their statement, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner and Secretary of State Laurent Nunez also called for "the procedure for recognising a state of natural disaster for the municipalities concerned to be accelerated".

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

More articles from French news
More articles from Connexion France
Other articles that may interest you

Comment

Loading some business profiles...

Loading some classifieds...