top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

How do I change my doctor?

You need to declare a médecin traitant to the sécurité sociale. Here is how

I HAVE moved within France to another town and need therefore to change the doctor’s practice where I am registered. How do I do this?

All people over 16 should declare a médecin traitant to their caisse de sécurité sociale, as this affects how much you pay for healthcare. You can change your registered
doctor any time you like.

You need to get the form Cerfa No 12485*01 (which you can download from the website), completing it in front of your new médecin traitant, getting
him to sign and stamp it, then sending it to your caisse.

There is no need to have direct contact with your previous doctor, who is not told directly of your change from his practice.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France