top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Residency of young Britons in France ‘not considered’ during Brexit

It was only when one reader and his family left France that a border officer pointed out they needed a DCEM document for their son

Reader had to ‘blag’ their way out of, and back into, France without DCEM document for son Pic: Hayk_Shalunts / Shutterstock

November’s Connexion highlighted problems British children and young people in France regularly face due to lack of proof of residency status under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.

Perhaps it was because of time restraints, but I suspect this issue was not previously fully considered at an official level.

Read more: Young Brexit agreement Britons facing residency difficulties in France

Read more: UK families in France struggle to gain Brexit WA cards for children

My wife and I applied for residency status the day the Brexit referendum result was announced. 

We then, post Brexit, had to exchange this for Withdrawal Agreement residency status. 

At no point during that 2020 exchange process was it explained that we would need to obtain a DCEM (document de circulation pour étranger mineur) for our son, should we ever want to take him out of France. 

It was only on doing so that a border officer pointed out that we needed one.

Read more: Does my under 18 need a DCEM travel document for travel from France?

Thankfully, we blagged our way out of – and back into – France. The application process for a DCEM was online, quick and straightforward. However, it cost €50. 

As a footnote, our son is keen to obtain French nationality the day that he is old enough to. 

Personally, I cannot understand why any ‘British children’ born or raised in France would not want to do the same, for professional, travel or electoral representation purposes, if nothing else. 

Gary GRANT, Morbihan

Share a point of view on an aspect of French life at  or The Connexion, Le Grande Bretagne, 30 av. Grande Bretagne, 98000 Monaco.Please include your name and department of France or country where you live. Letters used may be edited for space and sense; the Editor’s decision is final. Letters received may be used online and/or in print.

Related articles

Explainer: France’s Brexit residency cards and foreign travel

Explainer: When does a child need ‘permission form’ to leave France?

How to help your child become properly bilingual in French and English

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France