top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Vote for life ... but when?

Britons living abroad for more than 15 years WILL get back their UK parliamentary and referendum vote, the British prime minister has said – but there is no detail about when a new law is planned.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, replying to a letter from Harry Shindler, 99, a long-time campaigner for expatriates’ rights who lives in Italy, said the government is “committed to scrapping the arbitrary rule”.

He added that he is aware most Britons abroad “retain deep ties to the UK” and many still have family there, plan to return, or draw British pensions “after a lifetime of hard work”.

Others have fought for their country, like World War Two veteran Mr Shindler, he said.

“Now we have left the EU, it is more important than ever to strengthen the UK’s ties with the British expat community.

“We will be making an announcement on our plans to deliver votes for life in due course,” Mr Johnson said.

The policy of ending the 15-year limit was listed in the notes document to December’s Queen’s Speech, which usually means that, if parliamentary time is available, the government aims to introduce a bill on it in the coming session of Parliament.

A session usually lasts from spring to spring but it is unclear how long the current session will last, with Parlia­ment having opened, unusually, in December. Due to Brexit, the last session lasted more than two years, which is exceptional.

The policy was also in the last three Conservative manifestos.

Connexion contacted several UK government departments to find out if any concrete plans exist to introduce a “votes for life” bill, but no details were available other than that legislative options are under consideration and there will be more information in due course.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France