top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Is France giving financial aid to people who host Ukrainians as UK is?

British households offering to take someone in can receive a tax-free payment of £350 per month for up to a year

Over 2.8 million people have fled Ukraine since Russia invaded on February 24 Pic: Grand Warszawski / Shutterstock

Reader question: I saw that the UK is giving out payments to people who sign up to host refugees from Ukraine. Does France have a similar scheme?

The UK has launched its Homes for Ukraine scheme, aiming to get citizens involved in offering accommodation to people from Ukraine displaced by Russia’s invasion of the country. 

People who sign up to be hosts are eligible to receive a tax-free payment of £350 per month for up to 12 months. 

Since the scheme was announced yesterday (March 14), around 89,000 people have signed up to offer housing. 

France has a similar scheme, called Je m'engage pour l'Ukraine, where people can get involved in supporting Ukraine through donations, volunteering or hosting. 

However, the government is not offering out payments to hosts. 

French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday (March 15) that the platform has so far received around 33,000 accommodation offers. 

Many local authorities - mairies, prefectures, associations, etc. are also working with citizens to put displaced Ukrainians in touch with hosts in France. 

You can read our guide here about the different ways you can support Ukraine from France: 

Read more: How can I help Ukraine from France: Host, donate, support

Mr Macron has also said that France is able to accommodate at least 100,000 Ukrainians. 

Related stories

Macron offers asylum to Russian TV editor who protested Ukraine war

France prepares to welcome 50,000 to 100,000 Ukrainian refugees

How to give more money to help Ukraine (use France’s tax benefits)

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now